RX-0 Gundam Unicorn Perfect Grade 1:60
From the anime Gundam Unicorn, this is the main mobile suit of the series.
A build that I have been working on for nearly a year off and on. My first Perfect Grade ( PG ) and the biggest model I have built to date.
The kit was purchased at the end of 2015, it was then put in the stash for a few months. I purchased an aftermarket metal detail set containing metal replacements for the thrusters and small details for the armor and gun barrels. I also purchased a third party LED set for lighting up the kit.
The Unicorn was built around April 2016 and dissembled for painting. Work and commissions then placed it on the back-burner for 4 months.
Fast forward to August 2016. I have 2 weeks off and set myself the task of finishing the Unicorn.
The inner frame was simple as most of it is covered by armor. Primed in gray Alclads primer and used Vallejo Metal Color Steel with 2 coats of gloss. The LED set was installed at this time.
The armor was also easy to paint quickly. Primed gray and a Tamiya Nato black pre-shade, it was then painted with Mr. Hobby Aqueous White. Thinned 50/50 and first applied in a mist coat to start blending the pre-shade. Once dry another coat was applied to the center of the armor panels to give a highlight. A final mist coat was applied to further blend the shading and highlighting. A gloss coat was then applied to protect the paint for weathering.
Aftermarket decals were used as the kit only comes with stickers, another gloss coat was applied to protect them
The whole paint and decal stage up to this point had taken 4 days. Now came the hard part. Weathering!!
I wanted to add chipping to the model, I had tried chipping fluid but the results were inconsistent. I then tried the sponge method, really did not like how that looked. I finally decided to paint all the chipping by hand. A small brush, a bottle of A.MIG-044 chipping paint and 60 hours later the chipping was done.
A gloss coat was applied to protect all the paintwork. Various weathering products from Mig Ammo and AK Interactive were used to create tonal variation and streaking. I was careful not to go overboard with this stage as I was looking for a used look rather than dirty as all hell look It was then sealed with 3 coats of Alclads Matt varnish.
The Matt coat really brought all the painting and weathering together.
Taking pictures of the kit was difficult due to size and the LED’s were causing issues while photographing
This kit really pushed my to my limit and beyond. But it was worth it 🙂
Mark Dunmore – Author/Modeler